Saturday, May 14, 2005

I'm flying high tonight!!!!!!!

I had a great night at the hospital! I finally got a laboring patient and got to be apart of my first vaginal delivery of my senior practicum! It was incredible and I'm totally wired!

It was such a special time and the family that we worked with was great! The dad was the greatest coach! This was a young, unwed couple, but they were great together! Dad was coaching her through her breathing, her contractions, giving her water or ice chips every few minutes and wiping her brow with a cold cloth! He was so sweet and at times he sounded like an eager waiter! I even told him he sounded like a waiter!

Dad, mom and both grandmas were crying at delivery....and because of all the crying around me, I totally was tearing up! I didn't have tears fall, but I totally started to cry along with them! It was really special!

I got to do so many things that I haven't done yet! I got to watch another epidural being put in (yuck! yuck! that looks so wrong!), did two internal exams, tried to start another IV, a whole heck of a lot of charting, learning how to read the graphs of baby's heart rate and the contractions, baby's initial assessment, length, weight, head circumference, baby's first bath, help out with baby's first breastfeed, give baby a needle in the thigh, etc. etc. It was a jam packed evening and incredibly fun!!!! I will definitely do that again!

I absolutely loved it! And working with a great family makes it all the more enjoyable! Dad requested a picture of baby with the nurses....so I'm in the baby pictures for life! I'm so honored to be apart of such an incredible time in peoples' lives. I'm so blessed.

No comments: