Thursday, May 05, 2005

I think I'm getting the hang of it!!!

2 nights down and 1 to go! And I feel even better this morning than I did the last! That is pretty good! I'm not going to admit it....but I think I'm not minding the night shift...don't tell anyone!

Fortunately I was able to sleep a solid day away yesterday....9:15am - 5:30pm! I'm so thankful for that! By the time 11:30pm came around I was a little sleepy because I didn't take an evening nap but I got an hour in at work which helped!

I am getting increasingly comfortable handling such teeny, tiny, new babies. They really just melt my heart. So far the ones I've worked with have been SO cute! I just love working with them! Though they aren't patients that you can reason with or even really communicate clearly with...so that can be a little difficult!

I did my first PKU this morning...which is a metabolic screening test they do on all newborns at 48 hours before they leave the hospital. You have to give their heel a little poke and color in these 6 little circles with baby's blood. It sounds a little sadistic saying it like that...but it is the general point. Anyways, I did my first 2 early this morning. It is so fun to have such a little one drapped across your lap. They are so warm and cuddly, and if they aren't crying through the process, some make cute noises right on your lap!

So, yes, I did another night of postpartum, no laboring moms. There is so much to learn that it is good that my preceptor is trying to get me knowledgeable on postpartum before I get thrown into labor and delivery. We've been full with postpartum! Even to the point of no extra beds on the unit! But, who knows what tonight will be about because over half are being discharged today! It could be interesting!

I'm off to have a bite to eat and then off to bed for the day! Good night! And have a nice day to all of you who are up and about!

No comments: