Another episode of LDRP.....(instead of ER......)
Yesterday was a good evening again! I got to try my first attempt at starting an IV. Now, my preceptor took me over to triage to let the nurses there know that if they had any IVs or blood work, they could call us in LDRP and we would come on over and do it! We came at the right time because just then one of the nurses was going to start an IV. The patient was the perfect one to do my first IV on...though of course I would never have told her that it was my first time!...because she was pleasant, relaxed and had pretty visible veins to work with. It worked fairly well....but I did feel like I was all thumbs setting everything up! I picked a vein and went for it. I got in...through very thick skin!......got blood back (we want that...to make sure we are in the vein)....started the IV drip to see if it would flow. No flow. Bummer. I must have hit an inconvenient valve. Well, I didn't want to poke mom twice, so my preceptor did the next try. She's a pro at IVs. Well, she did the same thing. Stupid valves. The seasoned nurse finally got the IV in....and made a big mess in the process. So, my technique was great....we just picked a candidate with a lot of valves. Darn it! Maybe next time!
I'm starting to catch on a little more about teaching moms how to breastfeed and making sure they are getting good latches. I spent a good half and hour with one of my moms yesterday trying different holds, assess the latch, etc. I was right in there! It sounds so funny to hear the words coming out of my mouth..."have you tried the football hold?", "now make sure baby's mouth is wide open" (I'm trying to keep my words sensored here for all the males who aren't comfortable with the topic of breastfeeding!).....I'm starting to sounds like I know what I'm doing and can offer mom tips about what to do and how to do things more effectively! That feels good!
I also got to do my first initial newborn assessment. You look baby over from head to toe, check out every area and make sure everything is visibly working. It is fun! It is like a little investigation....until baby is crying and you just want to hurry things up so that baby calms down! You assume the role of inspector. Inspecting for birth marks, all 10 fingers and 10 toes, bruises from birth, etc., etc. There are many big words on that assessment sheet....so I'm going to have to try to remember what they all mean, in case I see a baby with any of those variations from "normal".
So, I could say a bunch more...but then my blog will get too long! Tonight is my last evening shift until the end of the month. I get the weekend off! I haven't seen my hubbie, besides a quick kiss he gives me as he is leaving for work in the mornings, since tuesday evening! So, I'm very excited to see him tonight when he picks me up at 11:45pm!!!! I got home to a very cute little note last night at 12:30pm. We have a white board in the kitchen and he had written in big letters, "I miss my wife and my buddy", accompanied by a sad face with a little tear. Awwww.....isn't that sweet! That is a nice welcome home in the middle of the night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment