Friday, March 25, 2005

Here we are....Good Friday....

What an incredible day in our histories. This day is a monumental one in our lives as Christians. I love thinking about Jesus and the things He has done as my family heritage. Because it is!!! And I'm incredibly excited that all the future things He will do are my heritage and inheritance too! I can claim it for myself, because He gave it to me and paid the price for me to have it!

We watched The Passion for housegroup last night in the comfy couch room turned movie theatre (thanks to Cliff!). I love to be reminded about what Jesus did for me. At certain points in the movie, I found myself getting so mad at those religious leaders and Roman soliders who were on the front lines of beating and betraying Jesus. I really found that I had to look at the big picture of what Jesus was doing for the whole world or I could just be mad at the injustice of that one day and those few that were physically involved.

When you see the accounts of what happened on Good Friday so very long ago, it is almost difficult to figure out how you fit. This sounds silly because I have known from the beginning of my little life that Jesus died for my sins as well as everyone elses. As I was watching the movie last night I was thinking, "How do I fit into this story? What is the connection between my sins in 2005 and a Jewish man's death over 2000 years ago?". Without the eyes of my heart open and trusting in what God has said in His Word, it doesn't seem to make much sense to the average observer. I think I also was processing in this way because I had a small discussion about the movie with a friend at school earlier that day. She can't make it to mass this evening so she was planning on watching The Passion as her good deed of the day (she actually used these words...though being somewhat joking). So, while I was watching The Passion I was sort of thinking about her at some points and praying that the reality of what Jesus did would shine through this movie and touch her heart in a real way. That it wouldn't be just a movie or a story that isn't that important, but that it would change her entire world and perspective!!!!

So with faith I see the connection. With regular eyes it doesn't make much sense how the two connect, my life now and Jesus 2000 years ago. But I trust and believe that Jesus died for the sins of the world, and that includes mine. And I have the hope and the presence of the Holy Spirit to show me that it isn't just the past. That He is here with me today. That the Word of the Lord is active and living. That there is an incredible future instore!

I feel very intimately about Good Friday and what Jesus did for me. But I have such excitement about what happened 3 days later! (we'll get to that in a few days!).

Today I want to ponder about the sacrifice that Jesus was for me. I want to think about the intimate deed that He did. It is so beautiful.

No comments: