Friday, June 24, 2005

Could I be a Nazirite?????? Could you be called to a lifestyle of a Nazirite????

"In the Scriptures, Nazarites were people of extreme devotion to God who, among other things, left their hair uncut as a mark of their consecration. By their long hair they were saying, in effect, "We are not interested in seeing how little we can get by with in our devotion to God, but how far we can go. We are literally exploring the lengths of consecration."

Another characteristic of Nazirites was that they did not drink wine or eat raisins or grapes, all of which represented the sweet pleasures of life. Abstaining in this way from the product of the grape was a Nazirite's way of saying that none of the pleasures of this life could equal the pleasure of knowing God intimately.

Persons of similar bent are arising in the Church today. Although they may not necessarily bear any visible outward mark of their identity, such as long hair, like their counterparts of old, these new radicals for God have a strong sense that they are called and set apart for a holy purpose. God has marked them as Nazirites.

Nazirites are special people. As the Old Testament reveals, God raises them up when His people are in great distress because they have succumbed to spiritual and moral decay. Time and time again throughout Israel's history, Nazirites turned the tide of spiritual and national degeneration.

Casual measures are not enough. The need of the hour demands something more: radical abandonment to God and extreme commitment to His holiness. This is the Nazirite call. This is the spirit of Elijah, and it is sorely needed in this hour."
(Elijah's Revolution by Jim Goll and Lou Engle)


So, I've always felt a little different. I don't know if I can explain it properly, and it may sound a little funny. I don't think that I am better than others at all. Bear with me as I try to explain.

Grew up in a more traditional church....never felt like I belonged. I was always disappointed with what was happening at church and wanted far more than I was seeing.

I've always felt older. Like maybe I'm too serious about a number of things. I feel so strongly about certain issues, like purity, marriage, honesty, holiness, that I sometimes have a hard time interacting with loved ones that are walking differently. I feel so strongly about holiness that I just can't fake it.

Sometimes I've wondered if I'm just a tad bit religious....you know in the midst of questioning why I feel the way I do. But, maybe it is something more than that. Maybe all along I've been called to something that just has looked a little different than normal. Values that I feel strongly about, because God feels strongly about. Maybe I am partnering with His ideas, values, morals and passions.

If God is calling me to live a life set apart for His purposes and His holiness, I want to do it. Wait, not"if", God is calling us to lives that are set apart. So, I'm in. I want to be apart of the army that is going to change this world through consecrated lifestyles and intercession. And I want my calling and destiny on this earth to be about calling others to lives that are set apart for the Kingdom. It has to be more than the past. It has to be more than half-hearted. It must require all of us. It must consume us daily. It can't be something that we forget about on certain days or put on the shelf when it doesn't conveniently fit the situation we are in. I don't want to preach a message that accommodates sin and individual preferences.

I want to put out a call to holiness and lifestyles that are set apart. Are you with me?

No comments: