Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas!

So, it is Christmas today. I just got home, kissed my husband and wished him a Merry Christmas and had some breakfast after working the night shift. So, I was able to have many hours of Christmas already...unlike normal people that probably are still sleeping and haven't even woken up to Christmas yet. Our sweet charge nurse brought Christmas socks in for each of us that were working! And we had a yummy Christmas potluck. It was a really nice night actually! I had my delivery of the night earlier in the evening while it was still Christmas Eve. Then just helped out others and did break relief for the rest of the night!

As a child, we always celebrated Christmas on Christmas Eve. I'm guessing that's why I find it feels more like Christmas when it is dark outside. When I was walking past the big windows that display the city and its' lights at the hospital during the night, it was special to me that I was awake in the wee hours of Christmas morning.

I didn't mind working Christmas this year. The shift was good and I haven't minded the idea of working Christmas. It was just a little sad to leave the festivities and head to work last night. I went to the in-laws' for Christmas munchies and got to see the family with Shaner for a little while. I felt a little like Eyeore....a little droopy and a little sad. It was mostly just for the ride to the hospital and the walk into the building. Then I got myself pep-talked into a better attitude.

Shaner and I are planning on sleeping the day away. We aren't really doing anything for Christmas this year here at our place. We'll probably eat something together for supper before I head back to work tonight. But otherwise, no presents to open from each other. It may seem strange, but I also think it is a good opportunity. It is probably some life lesson about our values about the real meaning of Christmas. We, generally speaking, say that Christmas is not about the presents. Well, at least for other years, we can look back at a our second Christmas as a married couple and say that we put our words into action. It really isn't about the presents but when you don't have them, you realize what a big part of the holiday they seem to be. It is both relieving/freeing and slightly too bad not to have presents for each other this year. It is a good experiment though.....

So, merry Christmas to you all. Enjoy the day....however you do that.

And happy birthday, my Jesus. I love you and I'm thinking about you.

No comments: