Friday, January 23, 2004

Well, first week of clinical down, 8 weeks to go! So, today was our first day on the ward and with a patient. My patient's story is so very sad! An incredibly young guy (my youngest patient ever), with a lifelong mental deficits due to a spontaneous brain tumor. So very very sad. He is pretty much in a state where I'm not sure if he completely understands and he can't speak verbally back to me. So, I spent much of the day being available to him and his father and being sensitive and chatting to the dad. What a sweet man. I didn't know if he was the brother or the father....and boy does he love his son. So, it's going to be pretty insane, but totally exciting. In two weeks I get to spend a day in the OR and most likely will be able to witness open brain surgery!!!! Isn't that incredible! So, I'm going to have to work my butt of in the next few weeks, but I'm going to learn SO much!

No comments: