Saturday, November 22, 2003

Well, it is time to update! I wrote a blog the other day and it disappeared! Oh well! I had such a nice time with the gals from WCV at Earl's on wednesday! It would be great to do that monthly! I really enjoy getting to know you all better! You learn something new about someone every time! I'm blessed by the fact that regardless of where we all are in life, we can find a level to connect on. Many of you (that are reading this from WCV) are moms and wives. I'm not quite a wife...but almost!....and not mom, but a student, but we still can connect! I love it!
Caution: the next part may be hard for some of you.......re: cancer.
On thursday, I spent the day following the chemo nurse around. The first patient we talked to in the morning, had me crying. He was just verbally processing what he was going through, counting his blessings and expressing how sad he is. My heart just broke as he shared his story. He said "In july I was walking 4 miles 4 times a week and now, november, I can even get up....". He was saying what a wonderful marriage he has had and processing the plan of care up to the end. It is so sad to see what cancer steals. Another women I cared for this week is a 26 year old mother of three. She wants to get married at Christmas, but beyond a complete, supernatural miracle she may not even see next week. I have never seen death like I see it in her. She is hardly visible she is so malnourished and when I was finished washing her up, I had her hair all over my uniform because she is lossing all of it. I transfered her from the bed to a wheelchair so that she could take a walk with her mom and dad. I got her to give me a big hug so that I could lift her and pivot her from the bed to the chair. She was so fragile and she is to the point where it is even difficult for her to speak. That makes me so sad. I am thankful that my heart is still soft enough that I can feel and cry for these people. I hope that I never get so immune to pain and suffering that I can't see people for who they really are and see them through the eyes of Jesus. It is interesting because I really could see myself working in this area. Cancer is mysterious and strange to me. The people that I have gotten to work with throughout my clinical and those that I saw on thursday throughout the hospital, are incredible. Their journeys, their stories, their strength is amazing. I have learnt so much about life through these people. I am really looking forward to my palliative rotation next year. I think it might be the hardest emotionally, but the most rewarding and character-building.
Prayer request.....a friend of mine is needing a lot of prayer right now. She is having serious marital problems, and needs God's provision, comfort, healing and to know her invaluable worth. Thanks.

No comments: