An educational opportunity....in two ways....
Learning never stops! Not that I think it would, but one day I hope it slows down in the amount I need to learn.
When I took this maternal child float pool position in October, I knew that I was committing myself to a very steep learning curve this year. So far, I've been travelling upward, but I haven't reached the steep angle yet that I think will come.
When I took the position, I was orientated to one new unit, and I already knew 2 others. I was told I would be going to gyne/surgery in January, and NICU in the spring. I'm hoping all the time that my boss forgets!
Well, it's getting to the end of January and he hasn't mentioned gyne orientation yet. Whew! That is the floor that scares me the most. I forget everything related to medicine and surgery-type floors. But, I know that it would be really good for me to know. I'm just scared about starting fresh again and knowing nothing on a floor.
Education-wise, I'm sure I will learn a ton this year. Besides orientation to 2 new wards sometime this year, I'm also already signed up for two other education days this spring. I'm taking my Neonatal Rescusitation course on March 3. I will feel less stress at my deliveries if I know that I can begin tackling a problem more effectively with the babe if I encounter one, prior to the NICU team arriving.
I'm also scheduled to do another inservice called MORE-OB (Managing Obstetrical Risks Effectively) in May. I did the first year inservice back in October. Now, I'm on to year 2.
On the other side of education....not just learning, but sharing with others.....
I'm speaking as a labor and delivery nurse on a panel at the University of Manitoba in February. It is kind of ironic because I've only been working for 6 months as a nurse, but I'm going to be speaking to a first year nursing course about my job! I remember that exact course 4 years ago and I even remember the panel of nurses. Ironically, the prof that I had 4 years ago as a nursing student, is the same prof that emailed me as an invitation to come and speak in her class! So funny! I have to share for about 10 minutes and then there is a question and answer period with 98 students! It should be an interesting experience...and probably will make me a little nervous when it comes!
Learning, learning, learning........it will never end. I like that because then my brain stays fresh and active....but boy, can it be overwhelming at times!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment