Saturday, September 25, 2004

The weekend is here and that is a reason to celebrate! My last two and a half weeks of school have been incredibly intense! I forgot the craziness and stressful days of school in the excitement to get back and focussed! There is just far too much to do!

I think that I'm just get really picky and trying to do everything by the book. Other years I didn't do 75% of my readings, because there is just too many, and still aced things. Well, strangely, this year I have this expectation on me to do all the million readings! I don't know if this will work out for me......and frankly, I don't know if I really have to force this on myself! I'm going to keep trying, but try to stop stressing!

My mental health rotation is half over! I'm enjoying it, but there is just something about clinical (eg. being graded, always people watching you, not knowing what you are doing, in a brand-new workplace but expected to work as though you've been there for 30 years! ect.) that stressed me out. The countdown is on from the moment you begin, even if you really enjoy it! It is just the way we student nurses are programmed....or at least I am!

My patients have been great and I'm had a really interesting time on forensics! I thought it would be really scarey, but I'm not scared to be there after all! I was talking to my dad on the phone last night and explaining my rotation. He assumed that the patients would be locked up because some of them are in the hospital presently instead of jail. Well, that is not the case. They all walk around like regular patients on the ward, they just don't get to leave. I guess it is a little strange to sit and walk with those that have murdered. But it is eye-opening. It is teaching me something about grace....because whether they are deemed NCR (not criminally responsible) or guilty, they cannot take back what they have done. That comes with a lot of guilt after the fact. I don't know how I would cope after my thinking cleared and I realized that I had killed someone. How awful!

On a totally different note, today I get to see my mom! I miss her a lot lately! I got to see her quite a bit during the month I was off work because of my back. Now, with school being so busy, I feel like I only go to school/hospital, read at home and sleep. It is working out for me though, because I can see the finish line! So, my mom is picking me up and I'm going home with her. I'm going to have to write a little paper there this afternoon when she's gone on another run (bringing foster kids to Winnipeg for their visits). Then Shane and I are going to a fondue with two other couples from his workplace. I'm excited about the food, but hope that we can fun too since I don't really have any relationship with the others there! I told Shane we should try it out and if we don't enjoy the company, we don't have to do it again! Hee hee!

So, off I go to shower and get my stuff together! Have a nice saturday all! I think it will be beautiful!

No comments: