My first day of my last year of school!
I'm remembering many first days and the excitement I had of running to catch the bus and the traditional first day of a new year picture holding up the grade you were in on your fingers in front of the fireplace. I've always loved the first day of school....except grade 12 because I had only arrived home from a trip the night before and wasn't in the mindset yet!
I'm a little sad that today is my last first day of school! I love school and so cheers to a great last year! It was a short little day of orientation. Only 9-11am and I got to find out where my clinical placements are and who my CEFs (Clinical Education Facilitators) are.
Thankfully, I did not get September as my month off! I got November!!! Yippeeee! That means I only have school 2 days a week after October!!! That rocks! Also, my back should be doing pretty great by November and I hope to be able to work in November and December! We definitely will be able to use the money!
I start my mental health rotation on tuesday already!!! I have a CEF who is tag-teaming it up with another one. They haven't done it before.....here we go! Well, I had one CEF who had never done it before and we thought she would be a breeze because she was new at it! Well, she was great until we got our final marks the last time we saw her and she was incredibly stingy on the A's! We were all very ticked because she was actually a really tough marker and we didn't think that was fair!
So, anyways, my mental health rotation is at HSC. I wanted St.B because it is closer to bus to at 6 or 7 in the morning!!! But, it should be good anyways! It is only 4 weeks so I can make it! I'm not exactly sure where I'll be though. I could be on a ward alone because some of the wards take only 1 student nurse, others take a few more. I'll find out on tuesday. But I heard them say there is a forensic ward, an intense care ward and a child/adolescent outpatient ward and those sounded pretty interesting to me! Especially the child one.
As for palliative...I AM EXCITED!!! I got my first choice, Cancer Care MB at St.B. The thing that I didn't know when signing myself up for this one is that you don't have a clinical group! You are on your own! So, it is really like a senior practicum. See, normally, you have a group of students (5-6) on your ward with one CEF. Well, in my case, I am the lone student with a preceptor (a nurse that works there to teach you). No CEF to help me out and no other student nurses for moral support! Oh well! I'm a big girl and I'm excited about the challenge! It's going to be great!
Only, I have to start on my birthday!
The big pat on the back is that the course leader explained when reading out the lists in front of all the students and CEFs this morning, that you have to be a very strong student to get one of these placements and you pretty much have to be at the top of the class!!! I'm very impressed and very honored!
Well, unfortunately after 2 hours at school, my back is sorer than usual! Good thing I have physio this afternoon!
I'm flying a little high at the moment! Much more excitement and activity today than I've had in the last month!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment