Thursday, June 27, 2013

We're Not In Canda Anymore Moment - Episode 2

I had another evening with that occasional, unfamiliar, slightly out of place feeling that led me to realize again...we're not in Canada anymore folks.

My lovely friend and neighbor is having a baby and I went with some other ladies from our base to her baby shower the other night. As the evening conversation is flowing, a number of moments remind me that indeed, I am a foreigner.

Firstly, when mace on your key chain and a loaded gun concealed under your clothes enters the conversation, you know you are not in Canada.

Secondly, when talking about what people might rob from a Dollar General store.....what in the world is a ding dong? Or a ho ho? To be honest, I just goggled them for a visual. Again, you know you are not in Canada.

There you have it folks. Though it seems as though there wouldn't be large differences since we are on the same body of land, same continent and generally what you would think is the same culture, do not be fooled!

We are not in Canada anymore. These moments prove it.

No comments: