Saturday, May 18, 2013

We're Not in Canada Anymore Moments

I was thinking a few weeks ago that I really should be recording the moments we have that we like to label "We're not in Canada anymore!" moments =) For your enjoyment, Shane and I both had a WNICA moment on the same day a few weeks ago. Shane's was hilarious! I don't know if the funniness will transfer via blog, but here's the story =)

As a disclaimer, I mean no disrespect to the people or cultures involved in any of these cases. They simply remind us that we are not in our homeland anymore and make us chuckle. There are aspects of people and culture here, that are very different than home!

Earlier in the afternoon, I was at a company and getting some direction from the lady in charge. She was African American and the delivery of her information to the group made me continuously chuckle to myself. There is just no way you would hear someone talking like that in Canada. The culture is so different! She was talking about how we had to use black pen. Instead in of simply stating that, she went on and on to prove her point. "Now, you need to use black pen. Not your pretty purple pen or ____ pen (insert whatever colors, I don't remember her examples)" and the tone had attitude and it just made me smile and realize.....we are not in Canada anymore.

I told Shane about my moment when I got home and a few hours later as I was putting Noah to bed, Shane went to the store nearby by grab some milk. He was crouching down at the fridge/freezer to pull out a jug of milk. As he stands, he hears of the voice of someone coming down the aisle. These two African American ladies are walking toward him and one says, "Dang! You cute for a white boy!". Drop. Dead. Hilarious. And so crazy bold!

She goes on to ask what he's doing tonight and Shane tells her that he's on his way home to his wife =) She communicates her disappointment and how she would have loved to hung out with him for the evening.

Oh my word. Totally hilarious and not something we probably would have encountered in Canada.

We are not in Canada anymore. These moments prove it.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Hahaha! And that's not even to mention that "moment" where you don't have 6 months of snow on the ground. I think that's one of those better moments.

Anonymous said...

That is to funny :-)