What a day!
There are a number of special things about today. #1 - 5 years ago to the day Shane and I started dating...or whatever you want to call it. I started out calling it "friends with benefits" but that was before I realized what kind of benefits people would generally think I meant! Then I abandoned that phrase!
#2 - As I mentioned before, today is Shane's first day at school! That's special!
#3 - I DELIVERED MY FIRST BABY TODAY!!!!
Yes, you read right! Today was an insanely busy day for me! I had two of my laboring patients deliver, with fairly quick labors. For the second one, I ended up doing the delivery. Mom wasn't pushing so great, and so I thought it might be a little while before we would be having that baby. Well, once that magic push that moves baby's head around that pelvic bone happens, there is no turning back! Usually that means there is at least a little more pushing for a first time mom! Well, that wasn't so! I pulled the emergency light to get some help and quickly paged the doctor for delivery from the room. My unit manager (who does NOT do hands on work on the ward) and a grad nurse that was orientating to the unit responded. Usually it is the nurse with more experience who delivers...so I thought the unit manager would! Well, she was moving a little too slow for me! That baby was coming and someone had to deliver it, so I jumped in! I delivered the head only to find a tight nuchal cord (umbilical cord around the neck). Generally you can pull it gently over the baby's head. Well, this one was pretty tight. I didn't want to pull on it too much! There was no stopping this mom...and in the midst of getting that cord away from the neck, she pushed out the rest of the baby. I clamped the cord and gave the dad the honor of cutting it...amidst the craziness of the situation!
So, I am broken in officially with my first delivery. The new grad nurse that was present was a girl that was in school with me. She hasn't done labor and delivery yet....and was pretty excited about the whole thing. She gave me great feedback on how well I did the delivery and how calm I was! That was nice! I didn't know how my unit manager would react to me doing a delivery. She saw me at the end of the shift and gave me great affirmation about what a great job I did! That was great!
Now I'm pooped! With all that adrenalin pumping all day long, I'm totally exhausted this evening. I've also worked 10 out of the last 11 days...and some overtime on top of that! I have the next 3 days off! Yippee!!!!
Off to make tacos for supper with the husband! See ya!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment