Friday, September 16, 2005

A little tip I've been learning....

Prior to leaving for a shift at the hospital, I can still get that nervous/dreading feeling about what my shift could hold. I've been told that that feeling often is present throughout the first year of working.

I love when things go right and it feels like you are competent and smooth sailing! I worked nights the last two nights and am a little wired from my last shift. So, I thought I'd blog and eat some cheerios before heading to bed for the day.

When I got on we had multiple patients in labor. I had seen the board and knew that my assignment was a first time mom that was 5 cm. Ok...that's not so bad. Well, after putting my lunch away and getting myself together, I heard loud screaming from a room down the hallway. I thought for sure that has to be the other patient that is almost fully dilated. BUT OF COURSE NOT! It is my lovely patient...absolutely freaking out (and adamantly not wanting an epidural). When they are out of control, it is hard for me to remain calm sometimes. I get a little frazzled inside!

So, I managed to remain incredibly calm despite the circumstances! After being with her for 20 minutes and seeing how out of control she was, the patient said she wanted an epidural. I noticed a strange sense of grunting/pushing while she was screaming through her contractions. I checked her and sure enough....from 5 cm to fully dilated in half an hour. No epidural there after all.

I thank the Lord that it was that quick, because that could have been a very intense situation for quite a while!

Then, another laboring patient was assigned to me at 5:45am. I'm thinking, she too is a first time mom, only 4cm and really calm. I should not be having another delivery on my shift at this rate. This patient remained that calm the entire time ( a little demerol had something to do with that....but not all). She just happened to mention to me that she felt a little like pushing the last few contractions. So, I checked her and lo and behold, she was fully dilated! So, I'm thinking, I'm off in the next 45-60 min. I probably won't get to meet this little one on my shift. Well, she was a fabulous pusher and my second delivery (the doctor made it to both!) of the night happened just as I was supposed to be leaving!

So, this is the little tip that has been helping me these days. When driving to work in the car, I pray prior to getting to the hospital. Part of my prayer asks God to keep me safe and my patients safe, well and alive. The other key part of my prayer is reciting the verse, "Nothing is impossible with God!". This focuses me to know that no matter what case I find myself in at work, God is right there with me and nothing is impossible with Him!!!! This has been my saving grace lately. Thank-you Lord for being with me in each situation and in each delivery! And He's making me feel more and more competent and comfortable in those situations! That feels nice!

No comments: