Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas in Kansas City...

So, no visas this week. Therefore, no visit to Canada for us for Christmas =( I miss family and it doesn't feel like Christmas this year. I reread my last post and realized that it's been 3 years since Christmas felt "normal". 2010 we were on airplanes between North America and Africa, 2011 we were in new parents brain (though it felt more like Christmas) and 2012 we are in KC. We just came from our YWAM base Christmas dinner. It was good, but it still doesn't feel like Christmas.

That has got me thinking a little. I love the traditions and festivities of the Christmas season. I love the snow, the lights, the Christmas tree, the Christmas carols, the parties, the family, the friends, etc, etc. But, I need to think more about the real meaning of Christmas. On years when the traditions and festivities seem absent, I can take it as a special time to lean into the Lord and get revelation about what we celebrate at this time.

Sometimes it is hard to make the time to sit and ponder the incredible miracle of Jesus coming as a baby. It is special to me that we celebrate Jesus' birth in December because my own son was born in the month that we celebrate the birth of Jesus. Last year, I thought a lot about Mary's perspective, caring for a newborn. This year, I've been talking to Noah about Christmas and telling him that we celebrate both Noah's and Jesus' birthday in the same month and how special that is =)

So, I don't know what future years hold. I don't know if what used to be "normal" will ever be normal again. So, "Christmas" and "home" will be wherever I am. Because where I am, Emmanuel, God with us, is with me. He can turn my odd, unfamiliar Christmases into special times of the heart since what I really need is revelation on my heart of the birth of my Savior.

Merry Christmas from my little family to yours! May the Lord breathe on us with revelation about the birth of Jesus!

No comments: