Saturday, November 06, 2010

Week 5 Summary

Wow! 5 weeks of our lecture phase are already done and only 6 and a half to go before we are flying to South Africa! It's hard to believe that by next month we'll be on the ground in another country serving and loving on God's people in a part of the world we've never been before.

Week 5 has held some challenges and some joys. I have been missing my close girlfriends incredibly much this week. I cried a lot on Wednesday and Thursday missing my sister, Christina and Bonnie. These are relationships that I value so much I don't have words to say how much and though I knew before leaving how much I love them, I didn't quite know how much. Deep friendships that stand the test of time are like gold.

My poor hubbie had a migraine this week that was pretty awful. His head started hurting on Saturday and the pain finally went away on Thursday! It was pretty challenging and hard to deal with, as I hate when he's sick. This is the second migraine since we've been here =( Please pray that there would be no more headaches for either of us!

Some interesting parts of this week were:
- driving a 15 passenger van for the first time, passing my campus driver's orientation and having to back the van into a narrow parking stall! Stressful!
- getting to use a labeller for the first time at work duty....that little gadget is fun! That could get addicting for an organizer like me!
- having a lecture on the specifics of Call2All and what that means for outreach
- starting a 60 day overview of the Bible and a Proverb a day
- learning a bit more about the documentary Sex and Money. It's about human trafficking..check it out this link.

Our speaker this week was Don Gillman and the topic was on the Word and our foundation. I was challenged on a number of areas, specifically what I based my foundation on. I was really motivated to dig into the Word and have it be the one thing I stand on. It was beneficial to be encouraged to dive into the Word and is something I've been feeling for a long time. I need more time in the Word and I need to make more time for studying it in depth! I'm hungry for it!

Some of my favorite lines in my notes this week are:

- Is the life I'm living worth Jesus dying for?
- God asks us to do stuff that doesn't make sense.
- We've got to die to some of our emotions. If they don't line up with the Word, get rid of them.
- How much is 1 soul worth to us? How much are we willing to give up (dreams, hopes, family, money, etc) to reach 1 soul?
- God doesn't give us the guarantee in entirety because He wants us to live in faith. Stop living for the 100% guarantee.
- Do I follow my culture or the Word of God?
- It takes 27 hours to read the New Testament out loud and at a normal pace. Why wouldn't you devour this book if you believe your God wrote it?

Here's pictures from week 5 at YWAM Kona!



A date with my hubbie for shave ice!



Having a few times at the piano, singing to Jesus has been my saving grace over the past week. My surroundings for doing a devo look a little different these days =)



Catching the sunset as we walked downtown to do community outreach. So beautiful!



I've greatly appreciated seeing our leaders pray together before the day starts!



Tired much? We get a little tired around here!

Thankfully, the weekend is here and tomorrow we're going to the beach as a class outing! Woo! Hoo!

No comments: