2 weeks ago today, we landed back in Winnipeg, on the cold, Canadian soil.
What can I say about transition/re-entry? It's a number of things. Awkward, strange and different to start. Some things are familiar, comforting and wonderful. Other things are frustratingly the same, discouraging and not what you want to face. We've had a little of all of the above and yet the Lord has led us really well in the past 2 weeks since arriving home.
We spent week 1 resting, getting to know our home again and seeing some of our immediate family. It was actually a big adjustment to rest. We've been used to being so busy each day and having a full and effective schedule that it felt unproductive and ineffective to rest at the beginning. But, after 2 weeks of 10 hour nights because I can't get my body out of bed in the morning because I'm tired, I realize that perhaps we needed that rest! I've had lots of energy in the day and haven't needed any naps, so the long nights have really helped the transition and combating jet lag!
Week 2 was spent along the same lines...resting, enjoying home life and seeing friends mostly and a little more family. We've been taking it really slow and it's been so wise. It was hard at first, like I mentioned, but it was definitely the Lord's wisdom that we adjusted that way! He knows the best way and I'm thankful we let Him lead us in wisdom.
Here's a list of my thoughts on different day to day things since coming home:
- Our toilet paper is so much softer!
- Our water tastes so much better than South Africa or Hawaii! Our Brita helps =)
- Everything here is super-sized! Even the containers of toiletries like shampoo and face wash.
- Our apartment is so clean and comfortable! I don't feel things biting me anymore and insects aren't crawling over my arms and such anymore! No more geckos, mosquitoes, ants or cockroaches. That part is really nice!
- It's so cold here! I can't warm up even though this is spring weather and we missed the dead of winter. I have to take multiple baths a day!
- We went grocery shopping for the first time. We sure haven't had to do that in a long time! We had a nice "welcome back" from our pharmacy peeps =)
- I'm SO happy to have a tub again!
- I'm SO happy to wear my wedding rings again!
- Our bed is sooooooooooo comfy! After sleeping in 9 other beds in the past 6 months, ours beats all of them and there are no sand fleas in my bed!!! Woo! Hoo!
- It is so quiet here. The windows aren't open 24/7. There aren't birds singing early in the morning. There aren't children waking us up early in the morning. The geckos aren't talking before bed.
- It's so nice to only share a bathroom with 2 men whom I'm either married to or related to! Woo! Hoo!
God is good! He's leading us well and we'll see what this next week holds!
Monday, March 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment