Wednesday, February 16, 2011

South Africa Outreach - Week 7 Summary

Week 7 was our last week in Muizenberg and moving day was on Sunday the 13th (my lovely sister and mother’s birthdays!)! We are now in Somerset West for week 8, 9 and 10 and it’s wonderful to be here! But I’m getting ahead of myself and need to do my summary for week 7 before I jump into week 8!

In week 7, we:
- Said good-bye to Saara, the LA team and our school leader Athol on Monday morning
- Continued the sand flea saga….but now Shane is covered and the rest of the team is dealing with them too in a more pronounced way!
- Had our last week of soccer and surf camps and said our good-byes on Friday =( Shane came to soccer camp on Tuesday to check it out! That was fun! Then all 10 of us went to the surf camp on Wednesday to do one of our skits.
- The 5 girls on our team worked on a dance to share when we minister (but we haven’t shared it anywhere yet)
- Did A LOT of 4K mapping work! Shane and I spent hours at the YWAM Muizenberg base making phone calls and entering data into the computer program. It was a lot of paperwork and behind the scenes stuff in the mornings this week!
- I did Wednesday morning’s devotional for the team. My devotional was called Fellowship with the Holy Spirit. It was fun!

On Wednesday evening, we went to Red Hill to continue with the cell groups. What we didn’t know was that cell groups were cancelled for a few reasons and instead the church put on a big thank-you celebration to simply fellowship with our team for our last time together. It was so special! We worshipped together, danced, ate food and shared at an open mic about what we learned and appreciated about one another! So special!

On Thursday, Shane, Angie and I went to Somerset West to have a meeting at the place we are staying at for the last 3 weeks. It was sooo encouraging! The place is beautiful and super peaceful! It feels like it’s out in the country but it’s super close to the town and they didn’t even know what I was talking about when I asked if they had sand fleas =) Woo! Hoo!!

On Friday morning we had our last morning in the community of Red Hill. We went door to door saying good-bye to our friends and gathering the community for free eye screening at the clinic. It was a great way to end our door-to-door evangelism mornings in Red Hill!

On Friday evening we had our last youth meeting and last trip in general to the community of Red Hill. Many of the youth were not there because of a school function for Valentine’s Day but we still enjoyed the people who were there and did a drama, a testimony and a message. They were so nice to give us another farewell complete with certificates of thanks for each one of our team members, who they called up by name and clapped for us! What a blessing! My favorite part of the evening was that 3 of our friends from the community came that evening! They had never been to that church before and we were so blessed that they joined us! 2 of them were 2 of the ladies who got saved in the last few weeks during morning ministry in the community! We got to be a part of the same small group for prayer =)

On Saturday, Shane and I celebrated Valentine’s Day together! We hadn’t had a day off together alone for 2 weeks and I was feeling it a little. Even on a day off, there are still people around when you live in the same house, but I am so thankful for the afternoon hours when the others went out and we could have some time alone. So glorious! We went for lunch at the Christian café near the YWAM base called Kosie’s, took a walk on the beach and relaxed at the house. It was wonderful! I even got to briefly call my mom and sister to wish them happy birthdays! I’m SOOO thankful for that!

On Sunday, we visited the King of Kings Baptist Church for the second time. They have great sermons! Then it was packing and cleaning time before we left for Somerset West around 3pm! We said good-bye to some of our friends, the landlord and the neighbors and piled in the van for the quick trip to Somerset West (45 minutes).

So, I am writing last week’s update from Somerset West but I’m going to save the description of our new location for week 8’s update!

No comments: