Sunday, March 21, 2010

Haiti Mission Trip - Update 3




To my friends and family,

I am home safe and sound in Winnipeg after an incredible experience in Haiti. I arrived home on Thursday, March 18th after 11 days away. I am so thankful to be home and so thankful to be with my wonderful husband again, who was so supportive throughout this whole process. Hopefully, we get to go on our next missions trip together!

Sadly, I brought home a bug from Haiti and have been ill over the last 6 days. I’m hoping whatever is bothering me leaves quickly! I have been to see the doctor and we’re working on finding out the cause of my symptoms. I am not alone in my troubles, as 11 out of 12 team members came down with something while in Haiti. Please pray for my complete healing and for healing for the rest of my team!

I am so thankful for all of you who gave, borrowed, blessed and prayed. I want to give a very special thanks to all the generous people who gave financially to my trip. Through you, God made this trip possible when in the natural I didn’t know how it would work. Your generous hearts and hands made it possible for me to go to Haiti and you gave more than I had hoped! Thank-you so much! More donations came in than I ended up needing, even after all the extra expenses, and I was able to contribute to the Food Program!

We spent 3 days with a village near Leo Gane, 45 minutes out of Port-au-Prince. The Lord specifically directed us step by step and we ended up finding this village of about 350 families who had not yet received medical care or supplies after the earthquake. Unlike many groups who have had tents and tarps supplied to them, this village had sticks and sheets.

Over those 3 days, we saw 150-200 patients. Nobody was ready to have a baby at this village over the time I was in Haiti, but I got to give a gift to 3 different pregnant ladies by letting them hear their babies’ heart rates! That was so special for me! We saw many children and adults with the majority of complaints dealing with skin infections/wounds, gastrointestinal issues and symptoms of dehydration.

The patients would be seen by the medical team and then had the opportunity to get prayer/counsel with the pastors and the children could participate in play therapy. In 2 days, we had 37 salvations! Praise Jesus!

On our last day with this village, we shared some of our Food Program supplies and fed 116 families with enough dry beans and rice to last a number of days depending on the size of family! The next day, we fed 325 families in Port-au-Prince and over the next few days, gave beans and rice to two different orphanages. All these supplies were bought with donations given by our 12 team members, meaning that your donations went directly to feed these beautiful people in Haiti! Give yourselves a pat on the back!
A highlight for me was the day we spent at an orphanage. I loved the baby tent, which was made in Canada! I spent a long time assessing, holding, loving, feeding and praying over these beautiful Haitian babies! 14 babies for 2 nannies and 1 nurse! They melted my heart and made me cry…multiple times. I also loved playing with the children and singing songs with them. I tended to their scars, scrapes and sores with band aids and ointment. Everyone that wanted a band aid, received some care, whether they needed it or not!

We had many challenges as a team on this trip. 3 of our girls needed medical attention at a military hospital and many of us were touched by the heat, dehydration and some kind of GI bug. We had many challenges as a team to overcome, and we did so together and with a growing heart of thanksgiving. We bonded quickly, learned to love and listen and banded together in prayer.

What an awesome experience! God did many things in my heart. You know, you think you are going to help others and often it’s your own heart that gets worked on and impacted. That’s the way the Lord often works!

Thank-you for all your support and thank-you on behalf of all the beautiful people of Haiti whose lives were touched by you!

1 comment:

Bryan said...

It is so amazing to hear the experience that you were able to have out there! May God bless you richly for making the personal sacrifice to be a living demonstration of His love, and I hope you are feeling better soon!