Sunday, July 12, 2009

Human Trafficking

Over the last 1-2 years this issue has gripped my heart more and more. My understanding of it and heart for it is still developing but I find myself feeling strongly about this topic these days. I said to Shane yesterday, it makes my heart sad that I can't gather each of these girls in my arms and hug them.

This last week and a bit has been pretty intense. I'm preparing to speak at Sanctuary this evening on this topic, as a information-type talk about why we as a house of prayer should pray. We gotta be informed on the things we are praying for, right?!

That being said, I've spent at least 6 hours in front of the computer over 3 days working on my notes and 16+ hours at a conference over 2 days solely discussing the topic of human trafficking. It's been an intense week.

Amazingly, I've only dreamt about it once, the night after day 1 of the conference. This is a terrible topic to dream about and I pray that the Lord would wash me after big chunks of time are committed to researching, learning or praying about the issue. My sleep has been slightly affected this week, but not too bad.

The last few days my focus hasn't been on this topic, which is probably a good thing after a week of intensity. I had to work 2 night shifts and then spent the evening with my family yesterday.

When diving into the issue of human trafficking, I think you need to be so careful to balance it correctly. Sometimes the things I hear make me want to go out on a mission and save the world! Other times, they make me feel a little more helpless that nothing I do is going to change things.

I HAVE to keep giving the burdens of this world back to Jesus. Yes, I feel compelled to do something. The best thing I can do is pray about it. Releasing it back to the One who can move mountains is the best move I can make. Carrying it WITH Him and taking on ONLY what He gives me is a very smart move. I need to balance the study of this topic with time soaking in His presence and meditating on who He is and His love for me.

Last week, after a full day with 2 different meetings on this issue, I had an evening planned with the girls. When I said this to one of the people I met with to talk about human trafficking, she stressed the need to remember to take care of myself while learning more about this topic. She said a girls night after a full day thinking about human trafficking was a great idea!

So, if you think of me tonight, could you say a little prayer? I hope the speaking goes smoothly and that I say the things that are on the Lord's heart. I could talk for hours with the information I've received in the last few weeks but I need to know the key points to hit tonight. Pray that our hearts are gripped with the things that grip the heart of God!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

praying for you! It's going to be good!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job tonight, Kristi! Thanks for doing so much hard work and for putting your heart on the line during the process. Some of the things you shared were very eye-opening and have stirred some things up in my heart, so thanks!

Kristi said...

Thanks for your encouragement Jacquie! I'm so glad to hear your heart is feeling stirred!

Somedays are Worth Remembering said...

kristi, you are amazing and i am so proud of you for diving into this subject. It is weighty and not to be considered like yesterdays news. There is a guy here at the house of prayer named Benji Nolot (you know now how to get a hold of hiim) he is the resident researcher on the subject and runs a ministry named exodus cry (.org) You should contact him and tell him that you know me if you want more info. He has teaching notes on the web (ihop.org) since he taught this last Sunday on the subject. We intense and if you can go back you should watch it.
Love ya, can't wait to see you@--%